In with the 80's Wednesday

Installment #2: Strawberry Shortcake and Friends

And I am talking about the berry original 1980 Strawberry Shortcake not the re-release in 2002.

I loved, LOVED Miss Shortcake growing up. I had everything, EVERYTHING. I had earrings, dolls, strawberry houses, books, clothes, blankets, pillows - you name it, I had it all.

The Strawberry Shortcake line of characters each had their own fruity or dessert-themed name with clothing to match, and they each had a dessert- or fruit-named pet. Like the Strawberry Shortcake doll, all the other characters' dolls had hair scented to match their dessert theme. The characters lived and played in a magical world known as Strawberryland. Hmmmmm, they used to smell so good!


Strawberry Shortcake & Custard ~~ Raspberry Tart & Rhubarb Monkey ~~ Plum Pudding




Orange Blossom & Marmalade ~~ Sour Grapes & Dregs ~~ Purple Pieman & Berry Bird




Lemon Meringue & Frappe Frog ~~ Lime Chiffon & Parfait Parrot ~~ Huckleberry Pie & Pupcake





Butter Cookie & Jelly Bear ~~ Blueberry Muffin & Cheesecake ~~ Cherry Cuddler & Gooseberry Goose






Angelcake & Suffle Skunk ~~ Apple Dumplin and Tea Time Turtle ~~ Apricot & Hopsalot


Angelcake and Suffle Skunk were my favorite characters, I remember her as being the soft-spoken angel.

My Grandma made me a quilt with Strawberry Shortcake herself riding on top of a strawberry. I still have it - unfortunelaty, in the mid 80's I thought Miss Shortcake would look better with some make up on. I put marker and nail polish all over her eyelids :S






Some of the gang (minus Custard and a few others):




And I also had a plastic Purple Pieman:





Anyone remember the cereal?? It was berry good and came out in 1983. It turned your milk PINK - the things they think of. I thought FOR SURE that I was going to win the Strawberry Shortcake bedroom package on the back of the box. I very disappointed when I never heard back from the contest.


I really do miss the 80s.

Comments

Jenn said…
My sister and I had a lot of the dolls too (although I had forgotten most of their names - thanks for the reminder!) only we eventually started playing with them in our sandbox so they got wrecked that way instead of all 'glammed' up like yours :)
Jen said…
I still have strawberry shortcake bedding (and I still use it on the bunkbeds in one of the spare rooms!). I also had a strawberry shortcake game, but I think we played it to death. It's strange to see all our toys making a come back. I guess if you wait long enough you do become cool again! :o)
Anonymous said…
I sing the Strawberry Shortcake theme to my kids and they think I'm crazy! hahahaha I probalby have all the words wrong too...
Sandi
Char said…
OMG! I had the same doll set!! LOL..and the clothes...the matching tops & pants & socks & undies. I had the canopy bed set.
I loved the cereal.
I also loved that blueberry cereal...I think it was called Boo-Berry.
I loved the 80's too. LOL!
Unknown said…
I'm a guy but I was obsessed with Strawberry Shortcake cereal. It's still my favorite of all time and it sucks that they stopped making it.

Popular Posts